Friday, August 8, 2008

A Lounge for Your Lizard.

Just finished up a great work week in Texas, and am now hanging out in the Admiral's Club at the Austin Airport, waiting for my flight. Nature called (as it often does when I've consumed five coffees), and I made my way to the head. As you can see, the entrance to the Men's is placarded with a sign that reads, "Men's Lounge".


At the risk of bursting your bubble of anticipation, there's really not a lounge behind this door. No bar, no mood music, no sofa. Just a few guys trying not to pee on their hands, and one dude flushing his toilet over and over. Guess he was trying to be polite and disguise the noises of his bodily functions. Nice.

Finishing my business, I exited the "Lounge" and noticed this sign directly across from me. Hmmm. It would appear that while paying customers at the Admiral's Club can enjoy the comfort of a "Lounge", lowly employees are relegated to just a "Restroom". That and the fact that the need all employees, regardless of sex or handicap have to use the same facility.

I really wanted to explore the employee's restroom to see for myself what the difference was between a "Lounge" and a "Restroom", but quickly thought the better of it. Given the current state of the airline industry (where pillows can cost $7, a checked bag $20) perhaps this bathroom is just a room with a bucket? We'll never know...

And when nature calls for funny, make your way to humor-blogs.com.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if any of the AA staff noticed you taking photos of the bathroom door?

Mat Garretson said...

Naw...it was way too early in the morning. Now if I would have tried to take pictures INSIDE the bathroom, I might have met with some objection.

Anonymous said...

I havew never understood why any one would call a bathroom, a lounge. Lounge denotes a place where you would be comfortable spending time and relaxing, music, maybe a TV, drinks, you get the picture.. Maybe they use the term lounge like they use the term "First Class"

Mat Garretson said...

Exactly...or like, in my business, the word, "Reserve".

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the toilet is the last place that I would want to "lounge".

Anonymous said...

Well, unless you have a very good book.