Friday, March 7, 2008

Rear Window.

I was driving in Phoenix rush-hour traffic yesterday. Being in bumper-to-bumper isn't something that's an everyday occurrence for me. Frankly, it gets me jumpy...like Rodney Dangerfield jumpy. I admit it: I've become a 'Country Mouse'. No doubt living in a metropolitan city has some advantages...driving in traffic sure ain't one of them.

It was while in the midst of all this traffic that I took notice of a growing and disturbing trend: rear window obituaries.







No doubt you've seen them, too. Little memorials of a loved one, a family member, a beloved pet, stuck on the back of a car window.

Am I the only one who thinks this is more than a little weird?

Please don't get me wrong. Bereaving your loss is an important part of the healing process. But when did it become acceptable to share that loss with fellow drivers - complete strangers - bestowing upon it the 'dignity' we would normally reserve for a bumper sticker? A bumper sticker like, "How's My Driving? Call 1-800-BITE-ME"?

Perhaps it's just another sign of American's love affair with their cars, or of our 'on-the-go' mentality? Clearly it's an attempt on the part of the driver at memorializing a loved one. For me? I see it as one more sign that far too many of my fellow Americans have really bad taste.
Logging on to humor-blogs.com is infinitely more rewarding than sitting in rush-hour traffic.

No comments: