Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Shameless Music Plug.

Hello from Arizona!
I arrived into the Sky Harbor Airport late Monday night, and have been running around like the proverbial rat out of an aqueduct*. Yesterday I met up with one of America's most erudite restaurateurs (and all-around great guy, raconteur, wordsmith and one of my favorite people on the planet), Peter Kasperski. Peter is THE man. His restaurants, Cowboy Ciao, Sea Saw and Kazimierz World Wine Bar are wonderful.

Over lunch at his latest creation, Digestif, I asked Peter, "So, what music are you listening these days?" Word to the wise: when Peter Kasperski tells you what he's listening to...you best run out and get yourself a copy. That night in my hotel I logged on to iTunes and looked for one of Peter's stronger suggestions: James Hunter. I found one of his albums, "People Gonna Talk", and quickly downloaded it, and synced it on my iPhone. On my way to Tucson this morning, I finally listened to it.

Ohmygawd! Where in the hell have I been to have missed this guy?

Listening to James Hunter is eerie. On one level you listen to it and think, "Oh, yeah...I remember that song from the early sixties." But then it dawns on you, "Noooooo. It's familiar, but this is new."

To me, James Hunter is a soulful blend (channeling?) of Sam Cooke, Otis Redding and Jackie Wilson, with just the right touch of Johnny Rivers. Amazing, hip, cool sounds here, folks. This is a man who deserves a wider audience (and appreciation) than he currently has. Or maybe he has...but I just wasn't aware of it. Wouldn't be the first time.

So, do yourself a favor. Go out and buy (or download) a copy of James Hunter's "People Gonna Talk".

You'll be glad you did. Thank you, Peter Kasperski!

*I know. A Monty Python reference. Forgive me...I've been reading Michael Palin's Diaries: 1969-1979. A great read.

And ALL cool cats read humor-blogs.com while listening to James Hunter.

1 comment:

Jack Edwards said...

Thanks Peter! Love this.