Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter Fashonista.

This is a picture of my siblings and me taken during the first Easter Sunday that I can recall. The time is 1968, and the place is Cherry Hill, New Jersey. That's me with the red herringbone jacket, black shorts and knobby white knees. I still remember that suit...and wish I had a jacket like that today, but in a 52L. I've still got those knees, though...and they remain knobby and white.

I can still remember my mother taking me to a store to try on that suit. I didn't have a problem with trying on the jacket, but trying on those black shorts was a different story altogether. We were standing in the middle of the store when she held them out to me and said, "Take off your pants and try these on."

Now being seen by my twin sister in my 'tighty whities' was an embarrassing enough occurrence...parading around in them? In a department store full of complete strangers?? Not only was I terrified of that, the shorts them self did nothing to reduce my anxiety: they were lined with a silk/rayon lining that printed in paisley. My mom was setting me up for big-time humiliation. I tried to reason with her...which, being a five year-old meant screaming my head off, "No!" My mom countered this with her own rebuttal: a quick smack on my fanny (should I say, rebuttal?) and a whisper - through clenched teeth - of, "Put these on. NOW."

My mom sure knew how to reason with a little kid.

And I can honestly say, looking at that photo of me on Easter Sunday, 1968, that my mom was right. I was quite the dandy in that outfit. I hope that your Easter is a dandy one, too!

And you'd be a dandy too if you'd just click on humor-blogs.com!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before there was "PLAIDMAN" there was "HERRINGBONEBOY".

the frogster said...

I agree with you- that sort of jacket is ALWAYS in style.

Mat Garretson said...

True...but where to find it in my size??