Friday, May 23, 2008

Fur Traders.

Just got back from a week in Arizona. I had wanted to post - really, I had - but the wireless network in my hotel room wouldn't allow me to upload photos, and I ask you: what is writing without pictures? I'll tell you what it is: positively Peer Gynt.

I drove up to Flagstaff early yesterday morning, attired for what I assumed would be yet another day of stifling hot weather (the mercury hadn't dipped below 100 all week long). So it was that I was driving in my rented Nissan Clown Car (similar to this one pictured) wearing a Tommy Bahama shirt, jeans and loafers sans socks when I began to notice an occasional snow flake on my windscreen. Turns out the locals in Flagstaff knew something I didn't: they were expecting a good six inches of snow within the next 24 hours...and they were all dressed for just such a likelihood. I can say from firsthand experience that nothing screams "I ain't from around here" like a Tommy Bahama shirt on a cool, overcast, snow-threatening day in Northern Arizona.

My last account call of the day was on the outskirts of Sedona in a town called Cottonwood. There I caught up with Paula Woolsey, owner of Cottonwood's New Valley Verde Wine Company and Recovery Room Restaurant, as well as The Asylum restaurant in nearby Jerome. Paula and her staff are great fun...and her establishments a must if you find yourself within a 150-mile radius. As she and the team navigated their way through the eight wines I was showing, Paula's staff popped a cork on a white wine called TAZI made by Arizona Stronghold Vineyards for my perusal. After getting my nose in and around the glass, I took a sip. It's easily the best white wine I've had from Arizona. And, despite what you might think, I have had a number of white wines from Arizona...and many of them good.

About twenty minutes into my visit I got the opportunity to meet the man behind TAZI, a one Maynard Keenan. Paula had called him down from his vineyard to meet up and taste with me. You don't need to spend much time with Maynard to know that this guy is passionate about wine, winegrowing and winemaking. And, even better, the guy has a seriously great sense of humor.

Take, for instance, another one of his labels: Merkin Vineyards. To my mind, any winemaker who has the good sense (I'd say 'balls', but it feels so contrived) to label a wine that pays tribute to the pubic toupée is the kind of winemaker you need to keep an eye on...and not just around your kids.

I shared with Maynard one of my favorite Merkin-related pieces of trivia, which just so happens to come from one of my favorite movies of all time, Dr. Strangelove. In this movie, Peter Sellers plays (among other roles) the President of the United States, Merkin Muffley. Turns out Maynard already knew that. Of course he did...I shouldda known.


And here's another Strangelovian piece of trivia: when Slim Pickens' character, Major T.J. "King" Kong* describes for his airman the contents of their survival kits, he finishes by saying, "Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all this stuff." Next time you watch the movie, focus on Slim's lips when he says "Vegas". In actuality he says "Dallas". The movie was filmed in 1963 and released in '64. Seems after JFK was shot, the producers had Pickens loop in "Vegas" so as not to offend anyone. Shoot.

Turns out I wasn't the only one with a penchant for truly useless trivia...so has Maynard. At the request of Andre, I brought out my iPhone to show him images of some of the labels I produced under my Negocé Wines' label. When he saw the one for Space Cadet, he instantly pegged it as an altered cover from an old L. Ron Hubbard book.

How'd he know that?

Not only was Mr. Keenan passionate and funny...the guy's also generous. As I was getting ready to leave he handed me two bottles of wine: a 2005 and 2006 "Primer Paso", a Syrah-based wine (a Paso Robles' Syrah-based wine) he crafts under the Caduceus label. Can't wait to try them...and I'll be sure to post my notes on them in due time.

And until I post these notes, go check out the links I've provided to Paula's establishments and Maynard's wines. And, oh yes, please do me the favor of clicking here on humor-blogs.com. Thanks!

* And here's a THIRD Stranglovian trivia nugget: the role of Major Kong was originally to have been played by Sellers as well. Turns out three characters were Sellers' self-imposed limit. He protested to director Stanley Kubrick against playing a fourth - Kong - so loudly that the role was finally given to Slim Pickens.

No comments: