Friday, June 20, 2008

Cheesy Restaurant.

I flew home from Chicago last Saturday to the very welcome sight of Amie and the boys. Early the next morning, we loaded up my car and drove to San Diego - a six-hour drive - for a week of combined R&R and work in San Diego, Orange County and Malibu. It was a welcome change from my regular road travel routine...after a day of selling wine, I would return to my hotel, meet up with the family and enjoy some 'quality time' together. Bliss!

After a long day in Orange County, I met up with Amie, Jack and Thom and headed towards our next destination, Agoura Hills. It being about 9pm, the kids were getting hungry. Deciding it was probably best to detour somewhere for dinner, I racked my brain for a restaurant that was, 1.) conveniently located along the I-405 corridor, 2.) family-friendly, and, 3.) might be a good place to stop, business-wise. Nothing came to mind.

So it was that we decided to take the Beach Avenue exit near Huntington Beach. There were lights and signs immediately to the west of the freeway which indicated a pretty large shopping district...surely there would be a place at which to dine.

Sadly, the only place that looked even remotely promising was The Cheesecake Factory.

To be sure, when The Cheesecake Factory hit the scene in the late 70s/early 80s, it was on the cutting edge of chain dining. Dramatic, ornate fixtures, a menu whose heft rivaled that of the Manhattan Yellow Pages, overworked dishes with waaay too many flourishes, all served by slick-haired waiters that had adopted, "I may look like a waiter, but I'm really an extra on Miami Vice" look.

I am happy to report that - nearly three decades later - nothing has changed!

Our server looked as if he was auditioning for the role of a 1980's 'Cocaine Cowboy': complete with a four-day beard stubble, slicked back hair done in a mini pony tail, and an accent which vaguely suggested a South American origin. Our server (let's call him Giorgio) was doing his best to accommodate our needs...but it was damn hard to keep a straight face. This was especially true when he presented us with a bottle of Sonoma-Cutrer Chardonnay. "May I suggest the Sonoma Coo-Twah?"

The food came, and all I could think of was that Rip Taylor found a new night gig, and had traded in his bag of confetti for a few shakers of herbs and spices. Gobs of paprika and chopped chives littered each and every plate. I forgot to take a picture of the 'before', but I think this 'after' shot sums it all up pretty well.








As family friendly chain restaurants go, the fare at The Cheesecake Factory was okay. But their once cutting edge sure looked tired.

Or perhaps it was just me who was tired?

Onward to Agoura Hills!

And it's onward to funnyland for you when you click onto humor-blogs.com!

No comments: