Friday, June 20, 2008

Let's Do The Time Warp...Again!

If you've been paying attention, it seems like I've been reliving a lot of my misspent youth these days. Between drinking Stag Beer, and eating at The Cheesecake Factory, I'm beginning to feel like a life-sized edition of VH-1's I Love the 80s. Could it get any weirder?

Turns out it can...if you decided to spend a night at the Renaissance Hotel in Agoura Hills, California.

My family and I arrived at this hotel a little after 11pm last Wednesday night. Road weary and ready for bed, we were quickly revived as if we had all drank a double espresso and then washed it down with a can of Red Bull. The bright colors and the oh so chunky furniture immediately brought to mind (well, my mind at least) Pee Wee's Playhouse.

The decor in the guest rooms seemed a bit toned down when compared to the lobby, but it could just be that the rooms employed lower wattage light bulbs. But the dark mood lighting didn't hide the fact that there was waaay too much color at play. The furniture utilized upholstery that had obviously done time as sweaters on Bill Cosby's eponymous television show. And the drapes looked like a silken rendition of a T.V. test pattern. Not exactly a vibe which bespoke rest and relaxation as much as it did Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax".

Speaking of, if you just can't start your morning without music from the eighties and early nineties blaring between your temples, might I suggest you avail yourself of the board of fare served at the hotel's H2O restaurant?

Again, the decorative theme of Pee Wee plays big here...a cross between Playhouse Pee Wee and Big Top Pee Wee. Tucking into my omelet to the strains of Weezer's "Buddy Holly", Roxette's "The Look" and The Bangles' "Walk Like an Egyptian", I realized that I didn't need that second cup of joe. I was already well buzzed!

With all that I've experienced in the last few weeks of travel, I'm in dire need of an 80's-free few days. Luck for me I'm now on my way to the Rhône Valley in France. They still do the whole 'bright lights, big city' thing, but at least you can write off the kitsch to their being French.

A bientot!

Vous faire me fait s'il vous plaît la faveur de payer la note humor-blogs.com?

No comments: