Monday, July 14, 2008

Playin' Catch Up.

Mea Culpa.

It's been ten days (ten days!) since I've posted. After nearly six weeks of traveling, I was in need of some decompression. Reflecting back over the past few weeks, I've found that I've learned a thing or two. Or three:

1.) That while I love France, there are some things that are just too - comment dites-vous? - French for me. Case in point, this metal sculpture to the right. This fence is located at the entrance/exit of a footbridge over the Rhône River that connects the town of Tain l'Hermitage to that of Tournon.

Any guess as to what that vertical metal structure is in the middle of the fence? It's a throughway for bike riders. Suppossedly the shape permits those on bicycles to pedal their way through the device, without the need of dismounting. I say 'supposedly' because in the three hours I was enjoying my dinner overlooking this bridge, EVERY SINGLE bicyclist who attempted to navigate through it got it wrong.

This device serves as a great example that in France it is far better for a device to look good than to actually operate well. Just ask any Citröen owner.

2.) That, sadly, all of O'Hare airport seems to be embracing this type of toilet. I bitched about these crappy, um, crappers in an April post (which may be found here). Luckily, or so I thought, I could escape these ridiculous devices in the relative saftey and comfort of the American Airlines' Admiral's Club.

Well, seems as if the Admiral's Club is installing these types, too. On my last few visits I've noted that about 50% of the toilets had these ass-gasket devices. What is it that Chicagoans like about these silly things?

The horror. The horror.

3.) That even though I've experienced it for two decades, encountering this view still positively sucks. And, sadly, it's a view I've been seeing all to often these days.

Why is it that every time I enter an empty hotel hallway I am suddenly reminded of the movie, "Defending Your Life"?

Ah, the life of a road warrior.


You can treat yourself to the high-life of funny just by clicking onto humor-blogs.com.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicago, the ass-gasket capital of the world...
Sure beats being known as the windy city.

Anonymous said...

If you had video of the French persons in question getting caught in the obvious bicycle trap, that would be the best thing ever.

In addition to Citroen cars and this thing, you could also add the Maginot line to the list.

Mat Garretson said...

Really wish I would have had a video camera. Some of the bike riders approached the gate with trepidation, some with panache...all of them either hit their head on the upright, got their clothes caught on a piece of it, or were yanked off. A few must have encountered it before, because they dismounted and tried to walk their bikes through it.

Anonymous said...

That hallway is vaguely reminiscent of Kubrick's The Shining too.

I'm just glad that French sculptor isn't working in toilet industry.

Mat Garretson said...

Ouch!

Anonymous said...

It must only works for certain types of bikes. you just have to guess which ones...surprise.