Monday, December 1, 2008

Space Cadets.

I tell ya, I love watching college football. With the regular season coming to a close, I'm feeling a tad bit maudlin. There's nothing quite like settling in to a comfy chair on a Fall Saturday to watch a game or two with friends*. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

But I have to say there's one thing I won't miss about watching football on TV, and that's the commentator's use of the phrase, "in space". Those two words seem to be on the lips of every talking head in football. And it's annoying. "He's a great quarterback, because he's able to read the defense, and get to his receivers in space", or, "his coaching ability allows him to manage his players in space".

Come on...it's football, not rocket science. No matter how hard you try to make it rocket science.

Perhaps they're trying to sound technical, or are trying to elevate the sport of football to another level. To me they just sound like jerks looking for a new way to talk about a sport that enjoys great traditions.

*Okay, so there is something better than watching it on TV. And that's watching it from the sidelines. I had the opportunity to do that a few times this year, cheering on my Georgia Bulldogs. Here's a photo of Mohammad Massaquoi outrunning a few Tennessee Volunteers at this year's game in Athens. Notice me with my sons in the background??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robbie over the top for two.

Mat Garretson said...

Warning! Warning! Flag on the play!