Thursday, April 17, 2008

Introducing THE LIST...Figure it Out and Win Winery Swag!

A few weeks back I was thumbing through my copy of "Spy Magazine: The Funny Years". Back in the day I was a fairly avid reader of this rag...that was until Graydon Carter stepped down from its helm. In its heyday Spy was outrageously witty, and it's not a stretch to say that it's influence may be seen in many of today's best satire (The Daily Show comes to mind).

One of my favorite features in each Spy was its List. In every issue they'd have an annoyingly random list that somehow made sense...at least to the editors who created it. Now that I have my own, occasionally humorous blog, I feel it only right to keep the spirit of Spy alive.

So it gives me great pleasure to introduce THE LIST. Each month, conveniently-located on the right-hand sidebar of this page, THE LIST will contain a series of quotes. These quotes may come from great literature, famous movies or television shows, or something plucked from the stream of our collective conscious. Being a 'family guy' one of these quotes will come from the mouths of one of my kids.

It shall be your task (should you choose to accept it) to determine the source of each quote...both the name of the character who uttered it and the work it was lifted from. Compile your answers and then email them to me at mrviognier@aol.com. Each month the first person to submit the correct answers for all quotes (okay, excepting the one from my kids...I'll give you that one gratis) will win their choice of either a Garretson Wine Company t-shirt or ballcap.

We start our monthly contest with THE LIST for April. Good luck, and start sending in those emails!

And while you're scratching your furtive little brain for the answers, go check out humor-blogs.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know the first one is a Marx Brothers quote, and the last one must be your kids...no clue on the others. Will you give us a hint?