Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"Oh, me? I'm the American Traitor Bitch."

In June of 1972 a thirty-six year old Jane Fonda took an ill-conceived trip to the Far East. Hanoi, North Vietnam to be precise. Fresh off her critically-acclaimed success in Klute (and four years after Barbarella), Fonda let her disdain for the war take center stage, and as a result she's not much welcome at VFW posts anymore.


I well remember the "Hanoi Jane" scandal when it happened, but hadn't thought about it for decades. In fact I forgot all about it until today when I was driving behind this Scion (pictured above). The driver had been festering about Jane so long that - having purchased his new SUV - he felt the need to obtain a custom license plate frame for it. It reads:

BOYCOTT JANE FONDA
AMERICAN TRAITOR BITCH

It was obvious that he'd given considerable thought to this license frame: the color of it matched that of his Scion perfectly. Now, certainly everyone's entitled, but does a 36 year-old mistake rate such a stylish license plate frame? Really? There's nothing more upsetting that's happened in the last three decades that might trump Jane Fonda's trip to Hanoi?

My first thought was, "oh, dude, get a life," but a few miles down the road, I started thinking, "What I really need is to have his life!" If that's the bee in his bonnet, the fly in his ointment, the pee in his Cherrios, then our Mr. Scion is living on easy street. Either their or at the local funny farm.

They say laughter eases stress...ease yourself over to humor-blogs.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boycot starts now!

Anonymous said...

Some people will never forget..

Mat Garretson said...

True. My mom STILL rides my ass for having caught me eating raw bacon when I was five.