Tuesday, April 8, 2008

She's Built...Like a Battleship!

Living where I do has its benefits. In this part of California the scenery is incredibly beautiful. A drive less than 30 minutes can find you at either mountains, desert, jungle or coastline. Also, it's not nearly as congested as cities to the north, south and east of us. But there are shortcomings, not the least of which is that there are few stores to do some serious personal shopping.

Now lack of shopping isn't too much of an issue for me. I'm out of state on business at least once a month...providing ample opportunity to visit a Nordstrom or two. While it's not a major issue for me, it is for my wife. Since her arrival to California, Amie has done most of her clothes shopping via the internet. As a result, my wife gets catalogs. A LOT of catalogs.

Yesterday's mail call included a catalog from a clothing company calling itself Newport News. As my wife perused its offerings, I couldn't help but wonder why on earth would anyone pick the name Newport News for a line of women's clothing?!? I'm sure that if you mention the name 'Newport News' to the majority of Americans, the first image that comes to their mind is not of fashionably-clad runway models.

Newport News is home to a real-life 'arsenal of democracy', one of the largest ship-building companies in the world. Hundreds of troop ships, aircraft carriers, destroyers and battleships were constructed in these yards. And they still are.

In my mind I began to recall terms like 'battlewagon', 'garbage scow', and 'tin can'. These terms can be used to describe ships of war...and, for the seafaring misogynist, women. I couldn't help but wonder: is this the kind of imagery that the folks at Newport News Clothing had in mind?

I for one smell a conspiracy!

And now that you've finished reading this bilge, why don't you get your tin can over to humor-blogs.com, swabbie!

No comments: