Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Jonesing for 'Cue.

Lately, I've been getting some powerful hunger pangs for some good Georgia Barbecue. And when I'm feeling this way, there's only one place that can truly satisfy my belly: Old South Barbecue in Smyrna, Georgia.
Most people, if they even know about Smyrna, know it as the birthplace of Julia Roberts. There are those of us who know better: this is the town the Llewallyns made famous. This gracious family has been serving up great pig meat since 1968, and I've been eating there since 1978.

Old South is my gastronomic touchstone, and - since I moved to California over 15 years ago - I make it a point to stop in for lunch or dinner at least once on each return home. As I don't get to eat there on a regular basis anymore, I tend to - pardon the pun - pig out. A typical meal starts out with a BBQ pork salad, large plate of lettuce that's loaded with shredded pork and dressed with blue cheese dressing. It's a meal in itself. Then there's a cup of Brunswick stew. Now I'll admit I prefer my stew to their's, but their stew is pretty darn good. Then, for my main course, it's a hearty platter of ribs, with cole slaw and hush puppies on the side. And, of course, there's gallons of sweet tea to accompany the meal.

But...what can I do to quell my Old South addiction when - like now - I'm in California and I've no plans to fly back to Georgia? Sadly, the Llewallyns aren't set up to pack up and overnight their food. Like all good Southerners, I must rely on the kindness of friends, and not, as Blanche DuBois did, on strangers. They go pick it up, pack it in dry ice, and ship it overnight to me.

So..do you want to be my friend? Hmmm? I'll even give you my FedEx account number!


10 comments:

Campbell High School Class of '77 said...

Still have some friends in the 'hood, Garretson. I'll trade you an Old South sandwich for a bottle of your viognier.

Mat Garretson said...

Just ONE sandwich for an entire bottle? You're getting me at a moment of weakness, Beth!

Cup said...

What if I throw in some brunswick stew?

Mat Garretson said...

Now, I already mentioned that I make a BETTER stew, didn't I? :)

Slab o'ribs????

Cup said...

You can't slip one past ol' Mat Garretson. I'd offer to toss in an order of Varsity rings, but they get too soggy after an hour.

Cup said...

Yeah, I'll throw in the slab o' ribs.

Anonymous said...

You make a better brunswick stew??? Those are fightin words to some.. Sounds like a Booby Flay throw down to me..

Mat Garretson said...

Come on out to visit, Dave. I'll make up a big ol' susspot of stew and you can be the judge. Squirrel optional.

Anonymous said...

My sister and brother used to work there back in the early 80's. Karla would come home from work and her doggie "Mandy" would lick her shoes!

Mat Garretson said...

I probably saw your brother and sister plenty back then, Jeanne. And if they worked at Old South long enough, I'd be licking their shoes, too!