Thursday, January 15, 2009

Playing Chicken: An Update.

Last month I posted (here) about my learning of a long-passed, failed college football bowl: The Poultry Bowl. In my post, I had asked that anyone with any information on this bowl series - a series consisting of only two games - please get in touch with me. I am pleased to report that some light has been shed on this subject.

I recently heard from Johnny Vardeman. Johnny is an institution of newspaper journalism in North Georgia. He's been a columnist for The Gainesville Times for quite some time...and when I lived there I would read him regularly. Johnny's first email to me mentioned that even while he had vague recollections of The Poultry Bowl, he was willing to do a little research. Last week he sent me the following email:

"Mat, The Poultry Bowl was played Dec. 8, 1973, at Gainesville's City Park. Stephen F. Austin vs. Gardner-Webb, GW won 31-10. About 1,000 people attended. It was a cold rain before game, so attendance was off, but probably wouldn't have drawn many anyway. Promoters were Bill and Bobby Smallwood."

So, there's that. No word yet on the 1974 Poultry Bowl...the final Poultry Bowl ever. When I know more, you'll no more. And if any of you have more info - or photos - I'd love to hear from you, too.

Thanks, Johnny!

No comments: