Friday, January 23, 2009

Welcome to Hooterville.

Occasionally I am reminded that I live in a small town. The front page of this morning's paper provided me with one such reminder. What's the big news? That, at 1pm today, an Alaska Air Boeing 737 is going to land at the San Luis Obispo airport.

With less than one cup of coffee in my system, I must say that I was impressed as I read this article. I also must say that, in my state of semi-consciousness, I thought the paper read that a Boeing 747 was scheduled to land here. Now that would have been an impressive sight. Having been around airplanes my whole life, I envisioned the idea of a 747 landing at our local airport in my head, and thought, "Landing? Maybe. Takeoff? No way." This would definitely be a spectacle worth witnessing first-hand.

What a difference a cup of coffee made.

Sure, a 737 is a nice plane...and it's slightly bigger than the craft you usually see here. But not by a whole lot. Not worth making a trip out to the airport...and definitely not front page news.

Unless
you live in San Luis Obispo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mat, make sure you get help with Medicine dosages before you have your first cup in the morning. No need for an OD.

Mat Garretson said...

Was that one pill or 747 pills?

Can you believe it, Dave? A 737 makes news here at SBP. Amie and I drove by the airport about 15mins before it landed, and there were about 100 people lined up near the fences to watch it land.

Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hey now, I was among a group of people waiting for a DC-8 to land at Datona Beach. Big plane for that that place. Of course Dad was flying it, but it still counts.

Mat Garretson said...

Remember being with your dad when that United DC-8 buzzed Ti-Co? That was fun.

Hey...are you on Facebook yet? If not, you need to join.