Thursday, November 20, 2008

"Knowledge is Good." - Emil Faber

I couldn't let today pass by without making mention of a very special anniversary. It was 30 years ago today that saw the release of the movie, Animal House.

Wow. Thirty years ago?!

I well remember going to the theater back in 1978 to watch this movie, and it was love at first viewing. Over the last three decades I bet I've seen Animal House at least 100 times. Like Caddyshack, I doubt there is a American man in his mid-forties who's alive today who can't quote the whole movie verbatim, start to finish. Standing in my kitchen with my wife this afternoon, I was doing just that that...until Amie shot me that look which said, "Stop...right now...before I kill you."

Within a few years of the release of Animal House I myself became a fraternity boy...a Sigma Nu for those who care to know. Right above is a picture of me with some of my brothers shortly after we won the the Greek Week talent show. That's me on the far left, wearing plaid, which was a daily ritual for me those days, hence one of my many nicknames, Plaidman. Gawd, was my belly really that flat?

We did our best to emulate the boys from Delta House. From performing the Gator to Carolina Beach Music, to living on a diet that was 90% beer, we had fun. Ah, the privileges of youth.

So, Happy Anniversary, Animal House! 30th anniversaries traditionally call for pearls. I could make a joke about gifting Mandy or Babs with a necklace...but I'd probably get that look again from my wife.

Otis Day and the Knights are performing right now on humor-blogs.com!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look in the magic mirror...
I see Mattie, I see Paul, I see Andrew, I see Joe, also Jimmy and Billie.. To parrot a title from a Mel Gibson movie, "We were students once, and young". Too bad you didn't take pictures of the infamous football game aerial assault. Ahhh memories, real good memories..

Mat Garretson said...

Ah, Dave...do you see the rise in the hill? Pull up...power!