Saturday, November 22, 2008

Something About Nuts Falling From a Tree?

Have you signed up for Netflix yet? The Garretson family really loves this service. Flat fee, no driving to the video store, incredible selection...that's delivered to our door in 48 hours! Whoo-Hoo!

The boys really like Netflix, too. In two short months of membership, they've gone through all of the Goosebumps DVDs, as well as a number of Star Wars Clone Wars, Pokemon, Transformers...you get the picture. Trying to dredge up new titles for them to enjoy was getting downright difficult. Until now, that is.

Knowing that Jack and Thom share their dad's penchant for high-brow science fiction (Amie would argue that there is no such thing) and low-brow humor, I looked up one of my favorites: Mystery Science Theater 3000. And, as luck would have it, they've got scads of available titles! Wooo-Hoo indeed!

The first DVD I rented was one that included a series of shorts, including "Mr. B Natural". If you've seen it I don't need to explain how funny-slash-disturbing it is. If you've not seen it, I can't explain it to you. Sorry. Well, the boys laughed their tiny little keesters off! Jack wanted to know if I would buy the DVD from Netflix, but when I explained there were dozens of more MST3K (as we "Misties" call the show) titles to be had, he was all for sending it back and ordering more.

So far we've seen "Teenagers from Space" and "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians", both of which have been given two thumbs way up from our diminiutive, budding Siskel & Eberts. Right now I'm staying with the older episodes starring Joel Hodgson. When Joel retired Mike Nelson took his place...and about that time I started dating Amie. It's not that I don't like Nelson, it's just that I never gave him the chance.

Perhaps I will...perhaps I will.

It's fun sharing laughs with the kids...especially over something that I enjoyed so much as this show. Hey! That reminds me! It's almost Thanksgiving! The week of Thanksgiving Comedy Central ran and MST3K "Turkey Day" Marathon. That was until Comedy Central canceled the show.

Remind me to send a "f-you" letter to Jon Stewart.

And let me remind you to go check out humor-blogs.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, now your talking. next warp your kids with SCTV.

Mat Garretson said...

Ooooh...good idea, but I think we're a few years off before they get The MacKenzie Brothers, Dr. Tounge, Johnny LaRue, and Edith Prickley.